History

Jefferson United Churdh of Christ has very deep roots.....

 


Join us in a journey of faith!

History

Jefferson United Church of Christ has its roots in the German Reformed Church, an early Protestant denomination brought to this country by German and Swiss immigrants in the 18th century. Originally organized as the Reformed Church in 1827, the church shared a building with the Lutheran Church until both congregations built their own houses. The original church building, a plain brick structure, was dedicated on August 21, 1841. A Sunday School room with an outside entrance was constructed by excavating an area under the altar of the church. Rev. George W. Willard served as the first pastor of the Jefferson Reformed congregation.

            In 1872, dedicated parishioners had a pipe organ installed and added a 100-foot tower with two bells that could be heard into the Middletown Valley.

            A Sunday School building was erected next to the church in 1900 and building continued in the 1920's and 30's with the addition of four classrooms and a kitchen. The main edifice was beautified with Memorial art windows in 1953. The Lenora Stockman wing was added to the church school building in 1985, providing two more classrooms, a choir room, a heritage room, pastor's study and secretary's office. The Nina Thomas Library was completed and made available to the members in June, 1987.

            Through denominational mergers with the Evangelical and Reformed and the Congregational Christian churches, the Reformed Church in Jefferson became the Jefferson United Church of Christ in 1957. The church building is now a Frederick County Historic Landmark.

 

Jefferson UCC Ministry

  Rev. Robert Douglas
Rev. Dr. S. N. Callender
Rev. Andrew P. Freese

Rev. Samuel Phillips
Rev. William F. Colliflower
Rev. Simon S. Miller
Nehemiah Skyles
Rev. Harry F. Dittmar
Rev. David N. Dittmar
Rev. Wayne H. Bowers
Rev. William C. Sykes
Rev. William S. Gerhard
Rev. Ray E. Hake
Rev. George E. Plott
Rev. Atvill Conner
Rev. Claude Henry Corl
Rev. Dr. William R. Barnhart
Rev. Kenneth E. Bishop
Rev. Edwin L. Werner
Rev. George E. Plott
Rev. William Stevens
Rev. Bronson Staley
Rev. Guy A. Wenck
Rev. Kenneth Wyatt
Rev. Hassel Helsabeck
Vacancy in ministry
Rev. Wendell M. Taylor
Vacancy in ministry
Rev. Guy A. Wenck
Chad Weddle
Revs. Rebecca & John Shillingburg, Co-Pastors
1844-1850
1851-1853
1853-1855
1855-1856
1857-1867
1867-1874
1875-1889
1890-1905
1905-1909
1909-1911
1911-1914
1914-1918
1918-1921
1923-1926
1926-1936
1937-1942
1942 (supply)
1943-1945
1945-1947
1948-1957
1958-1963
1963-1967
1968-1973
1973-1980
1980-1983
1983-1984
1984-1991
1991-1996
1996-2009
2009-2011 (supply)
2011-Jan. 2017

 

 

 

Welcome
Welcome

  Welcome to

 Jefferson UCC!

No matter who you are … or where you are on life’s journey, you are welcome here.

Connect with Jefferson UCC!

Never place a period where God has placed a comma, God is still speaking.

Our Mission at Jefferson UCC!

Join us as we follow our call. In our community there are no strangers—only friends we haven’t met yet.

Visit us at Jefferson UCC!

Our faith is 2000 years old. Our thinking is not. Isn’t it time for religion with relevance?

Welcome
themed object
3837 Jefferson Pike, Jefferson, MD 21755
 Facebook share
  
back to top

"a church dedicated to ministry • mission • outreach • in the spirit of the United Church of Christ"